Monday, June 11, 2012

Granthis and other hindrances

One of the most profound hindrances that I have found in my own practice is a false self perception that I feel to be true at the time.  It sneaks up on me like an Apache warrior in the night, so stealthy that even the fallen oak leaves remain silent at its passing.  Sometimes I find myself so wrapped up in this granthi that I find that I am ensnared and screaming like a rabbit, unable to escape. 

 But that is what they do.  These knots hinder us from realization of who we are, cause a lot of distress and then the kicking and screaming begin as we try and free ourselves.  If we are lucky, if our eyebrows are full of bushy wisdom, we won't blame others or circumstances.  If we remain foolish we tie the knot tighter blaming God, the Devil, the Universe, families, significant others and the stock market. Heh, we might even blame the neighbors spiritually inclined dog on a bad hair day.
Georg Feuerstein, in his most erudite way put the definition of "granthi" thus: " ...the knots from which those who know the traditional teachings (smriti) are released."  These knots are usually associated with desire and doubt.  I will start out with the desire part since the belief system (smriti) I most closely align myself with is Zen Buddhism. You may have heard of the "Fab Four" of the East, i.e. the Four Noble Truths of the Buddha. These noble truths teach us that the cause of this knot making course (suffering or duhkha) we so eagerly engage in is a bugger named desire. 

Desire for what?  Is it wrong to want something?  Nay, Grasshopper, methinks thou protests or' much!  The suffering that inflicts us on a daily basis is that perception that what we have is not enough.  But what is enough?  Herein enters practice. Practice teaches us to enter "disunion with the union with suffering." (Want to hear it in Sanskrit?  Ha, here it is anyway:  duhka samyoga viyoga). It is that want that is an ongoing ache in the belly.  It is the must have that overwhelms all other considerations.  This desire creates a knot called duhkha.
Let the Great Untying begin!

I came into this world (or was deposited here, willy nilly and I'm sure for some minor infraction by the Mother Ship) tightly wrapped on all levels.  I mean, talk about a bottleneck of my koshas (five sheaths or "envelopes that occlude the pure light of the transcendental Self."  Feurestein again) I was and probably still am a Gurus nightmare.  A regular mishmash of trying too hard to lose my self in order to gain myself all by the effort of my own personal hydra-headed ego known affectionately as the aham-kara (I-maker). The one that separates me from you and the rest of the stink'n planet.  You have what I want and I am sure you want what I have and only one of us can live in this one-horse town. Many granthis, many knots.
 
So I started taking yoga classes.  After years in the Pilates industry I encountered my first knot.  I thought I should be able to handle this yoga stuff no problem.  In short order I found that I was not going to take over the yoga world overnight (and subsequent experience has confirmed that fact). Now, I understand that skill in one modality does not necessarily transfer smoothly to another.  Skill on the Reformer and Cadillac didn't do so well upon my first encounter with Siddhasana (posture of the completed sage), Trikonasana (three-angled posture) and what the hell was lying flat on my back as though dead going to accomplish (Shavasana or corpse pose)? That was just three of the two dozen postures or so that my first yoga teacher tried to coax me through.  Lots of little granhti's showed up.  Kind of like Gremlins and what happens to them after midnight. My belief breeding. Big knot.

Secondly, the belief system.  My perception of a correct world view was a Judeo-Christian based granthi that viewed all other belief systems as wrong and hell-bound. The world, the flesh and the Devil all engaged in a massive delusion game to keep sinners bound for Hell, their natural destination anyway. Not that I was well settled into the Judeo-Christian worldview (weltanschauung.  Ha, there's a word other than Sanskrit for ya), but what one is raised in and then participates actively in (in spite of evidence to the contrary) is real hard to shake out and,... er,... untie. Coming to grips with what I was taught in the light of teachings from the East (they too have their difficulties) and continued research of my Western roots was a granthi of unparalleled magnitude that is still being loosened to this day.

Staying on track with the idea of perception as hindrance, knowing that one is probably delusional with a whole list of granthis to choose from is a good place to begin.  To say "open" to the beauty or possibilities of your practice is a bit on the disingenuous side of practice because the practice will "crack you open" (Rumi) as soon as you engage with the asana of your choice.  The trick is that entering the practice space to "get" something sets you mountains and rivers away from whatever you intended to "get" in the first place.  In the end there is nothing to get, nothing to receive, nothing to attain or lose. 

Get it?  

The hahn is struck
the bell rings
I pause to take off my shoes
preparation for zazen
the Raven on the roof 
of the Buddha Hall
glances my way and flies
low under ancient oaks
wings flashing darkness and light
his shadow caressing
the canyon floor. 


1 comment:

  1. Reading this I recalled what my dharma brother Varant once said in the Yokoji kitchen, "trying to forget myself - I forgot my tea"
    Thanks for the blog Taido

    ReplyDelete